That's what I've been working on. I had a lot of writing time today, because I had the house to myself until almost three this afternoon. Crazy quiet. :)
Finishing and publishing my novel Queen Witch is my primary goal this round of ROW80. I've incorporated one beta's edits, and the comments another gave me on the first four chapters. I've also added detail in a bunch of places in the first four chapters. I'm loving the book on this read through, so that's super exciting!
Earlier, after I was about out of editing energy, I got to thinking about back matter -- you know, the stuff that appears at the end of a novel. I like to include an excerpt, but I haven't written the next installment of the Foulweather Twins series yet. Feeling stunningly optimistic, I opened up my outline (which has been sitting for nearly six months at this point...sheesh), and decided to have a go at the first scene. It really helped that I'd been playing with book one all day. It flowed easily onto the page, and in about half an hour I had a 550 word scene that IS the beginning of book two, and will appear at the end of Queen Witch. Sweeeet!!
I'd said at the beginning of October that I hoped to publish Queen Witch before Halloween. At this point, that isn't going to happen. I'm cool with that; I know the changes I'm making are improving the book. And I also know you've heard me say that about this book before. Honestly, it shouldn't be that much longer. Sometime in November. Deadlines are tricky, and I may have learned another lesson that saying less is probably better when it comes to when I anticipate having a book out.